Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition, Inc. (HBCAC) is a not-for-profit grassroots organization founded nearly 30 years ago to provide a platform for women to share their breast cancer experience. Our ability to build partnerships helped to structure the national breast cancer movement. HBCAC is focused on prevention and the precautionary principle, while actively helping individuals faced with diagnosis.
A major initiative is Prevention Is The Cure™ which brings fresh perspective to the causes of all disease. We are convinced that most diseases are not caused by genetics alone, but by the interaction of environmental triggers and genetic predispositions. Our mission is to educate, by providing science-based information in a format that is understandable to the general public.
HBCAC Programs, Products and Services:
Prevention Is The Cure™ is an educational campaign focused on increasing public awareness of environmental links to disease by working with researchers to translate high-science into easy to read materials and using these tools we create to the community residents about ways to reduce exposure to toxic substances.
Look Before You L.E.A.P. Toolkit (includes Bilingual Healthy Reference Cards & Activity Book, Fact Sheets, Game board, A Cautious Consumer’s Guide for Safer Seafood Consumption) offers environmental health information in a non-threatening, age-appropriate manner for children k-12 and their families. L.E.A.P. stands for Lead, Endocrine Disruptors, Air Pollution, Pesticides. Most recently we produced A Cautious Consumer’s Guide for Safer Seafood Consumption to expand L.E.A.P. to include soon-to-be mothers.
Students and Scientists Environmental Research Scholarship provides a variety of internships with hands-on experience to local high school and middle school students enabling them opportunities to work beside world renowned researchers, participate in sophisticated laboratory procedures, and office communication internships where they learn to translate and disseminate information to their community on a variety of platforms including social media, informative videos, presentations, blogs, and more.
Environmental S. T. O. R. I. (Student Translation and Outreach Research Initiatives) is a dedicated newsletter providing a platform for the students to highlight their accomplishments and understanding of links between environmental triggers and disease onset.
Through our Prevention is the cure campaign HBCAC has been recognized for our ability to produce quality science-based educational materials in various formats.
Our organization has served and continues to serve on many national and federal advisory boards:
– Interagency Breast Cancer & Research Coordinating Committee – working with the NIEHS we made recommendations to the U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services regarding disease prevention.
– Breast Cancer & the Environment Research Program (BCERP)– served NIEHS for 12 years , working with our community partners GNBCC and the Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai we focused on the Windows of Susceptibility.
– National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences– We participate as Co-Chair in the NIEHS PARTNERS Program
– NYS Governor’s Sustainability & Green Procurement Council.
– New York Children’s Environmental Health Center– Board Member, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
– New York State Breast Cancer Network, Chair of Environmental Committee
– New York State Pollution Prevention Institute– served on Board of Directors
Lend a Helping Hand is a survivor support service offers women living in the Huntington township undergoing breast cancer treatment, with medical transportation, house cleaning, emergency assistance for prescriptions & medical supplies. Additionally we offer a one on one navigator for families undergoing stress.
Contact us at:
900 Walt Whitman Rd., LL 12,
Melville NY 11747
Find us on facebook, instagram, and youtube!